Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Let’s Be Rational About Abortion

By Jonathan Bert
The Extreme Moderate

July 2, 2008

Abortion has become one of the most divisive issues in modern American politics. There are those that believe abortion should be available at any time, for any reason, and there are those that believe abortion should be outlawed, no exceptions. Most Americans are in between. Gallup polling has found that most of the United States citizenry, those at the center, believe in a right to abortion, but not without limits. Where can we set those limits?

Why not use the Constitution, and legal precedent, to set those limits? The Supreme Court has determined that the brain, and it’s functionality, determine a human’s life status. Those without a brain wave are dead, whether their heart is beating, or any other organ is working. Why not use this to determine a fetus’ right to live? Once a fetus has an operating brain, it is self-aware, capable of feeling pain. This is where it should be determined it has become human, and has an American right to live.

Research on this matter is sketchy, but a fetus develops the brain waves used in the Supreme Court standard somewhere between the 20th and 26th week of gestation, probably at the 22nd week. This would not eliminate a lot of abortions, but it would eliminate many of the most gruesome ones.

Only the most vicious of the Pro-Abortion movement would object to this determination, most on the Left Wing are kind and gentle, people that don’t even like to see a puppy in pain, much less a baby. And the Anti-Abortionists would get to see an end to third trimester abortions, a cause they have been promoting for decades. Win, win.

I am a strong believer in the Separation of Church and State, both for the sake of the Church and of the State. This may be a subject for a future post. I am also a strong believer in the Constitution, and the sensibility of the Supreme Court. Let’s keep the argument within those parameters. Thank you.

4 comments:

ßry™ said...

No matter where you come from, what religion you belong to and what perspective you believe in ABORTION should be condemned to the highest possible terms!

Making love with your partner or put it in a meaningless way as just having sex and fun with your partner --- requires RESPONSIBILITY to the results it may yield to which unfortunately is a NEW LIFE BROUGHT TO EARTH.

If couples are not concerned about raising an innocent then take contraceptives! OR bring out the child and send it to the orphanage house.

ABORTION is never an escape goat nor a way to get rid of problems. We are talking about life -- an innocent life.

Happy blogging! See you around!


http://bry-hq.blogspot.com/


ßry™

Voyager said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I've got to say, your views on the government strongly resemble my own. As silly as it sounds, even the title of this post and your self given nickname (The Extreme Moderate) make me smile - not because I'm antagonizing your views, but rather because I so strongly agree with them that I feel unbelievably refreshed; someone can finally put my views into words.
I also greatly appreciate your notice that most Americans really are "in between". I know plenty of self-righteous people that consider themselves the only logical and moderate thinkers of their kind. Of course, I make that mistake from time to time, but I am in fact willing to admit to it.

While your solution to the abortion debate is not only logical, but fact-based and seemingly flawless, I have to guess that it may only seem decent on paper (strongly resembling that of communism. Damn you Karl Marx; you've given me such a headache over this debate with myself). While the law may eventually adapt to your guidelines, there will most definitely be those that get illegal abortions. The rise of illegal abortions would most likely rise - to what degree, I don't know. And of course, there would still be the anti-abortion folks that ramble continuously about the end of abortion entirely.

Maybe rationality isn't a possibility. Let's just try to get along and sort this out as nonviolently as possible. That's what we all want....right?

Right?

-Vitamin

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

As long as my terrible parenting is entertaining to absolute strangers I think my priorities are straight.

Mind if I link to your site? Occasionally I talk about politics and I think your point of view is a nice complement to mine

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I kind of agree, except for when you said "the sensibility of the Supreme Court", but was more focused on Bry's 'abortion should be condemned to the highest possible terms' comment. THAT made me LAUGH.